Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 193, Issue 30

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 193, Issue 30
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:33:22 +0100

On 26.12.18 18:00, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Is there some library, that enables high performance matrix operations
>> or even n-dimensional array operations? I am thinking of something like
>> NumPy in the Python ecosystem. I think NumPy in turn also uses some
>> lower level thing to do what it does. I think OpenBLAS or MKL, depending
>> on the architecture. I wonder if there is any wrapper around OpenBLAS
>> for Guile or something similar.
> There are quite a few libs you might look at before you start to code your
> own:
>
>       https://notabug.org/lloda
>               guile-newra
>               guile-ffi-cblas
>               guile-ploy
>
>       AIscm
>       http://wedesoft.github.io/aiscm
>
> I also wrote a set of n-dim array math ops (including matrix ops) for
> Guile-CV:
>
>       https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-cv/
>               the manual is available online, math and matrix ops are
> described in
>               the 'Processing' section
>
>       mentioning Guile-CV because images are just a collection of n-dim
> arrays.
>       (see 'Image Structure and Accessors' in the manual).
>
>       in Guile-CV, all (almost all) arrays are f32vectors - see (srfi srfi-4)
> in
>       the Guile manual - math and matrix ops are written in C (but memory
>       allocation entirely kept in scheme). multi channel ops are
> multi-threaded
>
>       some of these math and matrix ops also work on s32 and f64
> (undocumented so
>       far): it would not take much to actually fully generalize all guile-cv
> math
>       and matrix ops for the full set of (srfi srfi-4 ) types.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks David,

I've added these to my notes for further investigation : )

In SciPy and if I am not mistaken in the Python bindings for OpenCV they
also use NumPy ndarray to represent images and it feels quite natural,
so it makes sense to me to use n-dimensional arrays for this.

It seems the "uniform numeric vectors" of Guile are an implementation of
the vectors in SRFI-4 as per:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Uniform-Numeric-Vectors.html#Uniform-Numeric-Vectors.

So far I have a very naive but working matrix operation implementation
here (WIP):

https://gitlab.com/ZelphirKaltstahl/neural-network/blob/dev/matrix.scm

(I know, it's not something no one has ever seen before :D)

I think, once I have a good idea about how to use a fitting library or
how to interface with a library of another programming language, I
should be able to switch how the data abstraction procedures work and
should directly gain the speed advantage for that. It is possible I
should structure my code more, for example by putting the tests in a
separate file etc. Or I should add another layer of abstraction between
the matrix operations and the data abstraction layer, maybe some kind of
"package of data abstraction" that I give the program as a parameter or
something. For now all that it is, is a hacky thing, with which I am
trying to reimplement some Python tutorial for neural networks, trying
to use matrix multiplication at the right places, after understanding
what those places are.

Yesterday I tried to use my transpose procedure and it turns out I
sooner run out of RAM (8GB) than the thing slows down. Once I run out of
RAM of course my machine hangs and I need to try to squeeze in some
Ctrl+C etc. Transposing a 1000x1000 was no issue, but going up to
1000x10000 exploded in my face :D Well, transposing is not the most
computationally expensive operation, so not a good measure and as I read
in the NumPy internals, there are way cleverer ways to handle
transposing, compared to the naive way I implemented it.

Regards,

Zelphir