Re: Re parse-result

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Re parse-result
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 08:43:01 +0100

On 1/17/19 8:16 AM, swedebugia wrote:
> Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> skrev: (16 januari 2019
> 21:31:13 CET)
>
>     Perhaps I should put a link into the source code whenever I follow a
>     tutorial. Sorry for the confusion!
>
>     I am also only following Amirouche Boubekki's tutorial ; ) Good that you
>     already found it.
>
>     There is a paper about parser combinators (which I did not completely
>     implement, because I had a bug somewhere, where I did not find it at
>     some point), about parser combinators:
>     http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~pszgmh/monparsing.pdf
>
>     It takes some time to get used to the Gopher code syntax, but from the
>     part of the paper, that I read, it is quite clever stuff, all this
>     parser combinator stuff.
>
>     I am still unsure about the theoretical CS stuff: What kind of parsers
>     one can possibly write with parser combinators? Which language class is
>     that? I have language X can I parse it completely using parser
>     combinators? etc. Theoretical CS and the proofs were not my strongest
> area.
>
>     On 1/16/19 6:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>         Ok I found this
>
> https://hyperdev.fr/blog/getting-started-with-guile-parser-combinators.html
>

> Hi.
> Have you looked at the PEG parser recently added to guile? It does
> everything the combinators do with an added compressor.
> Its quite powerful and seems to work well.
> --
> Sent from my p≡p for Android.

Hi Swedebugia,

I did not notice a PEG parser has been added. How did you notice this?
Maybe there is another blog for new additions to Guile?

Do you know a good text, which explains differences between the
different approaches to parsing? For example, what is the difference
between PEG parsing and parser combinators? There seems to be a whole
jungle of approaches to parsing out there, including parser generators,
which I believe take a grammar of certain kind and produce a parser from
that. I am never sure what languages I can parse using what approach.

Thanks anyways!

Regards,

Zelphir