Re: guimax and guile-gi

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: guimax and guile-gi
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 21:40:07 +0200

Mike Gran writes:

Hi Mike,

> The GNOME-suggested API for gobject-introspection is to use 'send' and
> 'connect', which are already Guile procedures.  In guile-gi, we're
> thinking about moving away from 'send' to use 'with-object' or perhaps
> 'using'.  Also, we're changing how to connect GObject signals.

Yes, I saw `with-object' on a syntax branch and was about to ask you if
I could already commit to that...it seems now it's `using'

with-object' feels Guily'er in a way, but `object' is maybe a bit vague?
`with-gobject' is longer than `with-g', and both mainly add more
crypticness over `object'.  `using' is shorter and better than send, I
like it :)

> It would change all the work you've done on guimax, so I forked and
> re-wrote guimax using the guile-gi API that we expect to push today.

Ohh, wow -- thanks!!

> You can find the fork at the location below, and I can pull that into a
> patchset if you want me to.
>
> https://gitlab.com/spk121/guimax/tree/master

> Feel free to let me know if this API change is for the better or
> worse. ;-)

This works for me, definately better.  I'm working on some silly guimax
bugs while finishing up the GTK C backend first and then come back to
Guile-GI wich is the preferred UI backend for Guimax, eventually ;)  So
timing is perfect.

On Guix, Guile-GI now needs glib and glib-bin to build, you can pull
from

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guile-gi.git

(and some tests still fail, i'm sure you got that).

Thanks again,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com