installing Sly on older version of Mac OS X

From: Roger A. PURVES
Subject: installing Sly on older version of Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 23:34:13 -0700

to the experts on Guile:

I am trying to get Sly working under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and am
fairly ignorant of the command line. I did get Guile running. That is,
I can type "Guile" at the bash shell prompt and Gnu Guile 2.0.11
comes up (and works fine). To get to SIy, I followed the instructions
(after installing wget on Mac OS X using brew(*)):
……………………………………………………………………………..
wget https://files.dthompson.us/sly/sly-0.1.tar.gz
tar xf sly-0.1.tar.gz
cd sly-0.1
./configure
make
make install
………………………………………………………………………………

given at the site

https://dthompson.us/projects/sly.html

but after issuing ./configure, I got the
response:
………………………………………………………………………............
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... build-aux/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for guile... /usr/local/bin/guile
checking for guile... (cached) /usr/local/bin/guile
checking for Guile version >= 2.0.11... 2.0.11
checking for guild... /usr/local/bin/guild
checking for guile-config... /usr/local/bin/guile-config
checking if (sdl sdl) is available... no
configure: error: required guile module not found: (sdl sdl)
…………………………………………………………………………………

Likely foolishly, I tried Make after that. The response:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

I obeyed. Then did some google searching which led to me believe that
I simply do not have the background to proceed further.

Can a non-technical person get to Sly from here (in Mac OS X 10.6)?

Thank you for reading this far.

Roger
(Roger Purves)

(*) Which in turn required installing tigerbrew. (Thank you, creators of that
program.)