Re: installing Sly on older version of Mac OS X

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: installing Sly on older version of Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 09:20:36 -0400

Hello Roger,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 9:11 AM Roger A. PURVES <address@hidden> wrote:

> to the experts on Guile:
>
> I am trying to get Sly working under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and am
> fairly ignorant of the command line. I did get Guile running. That is,
> I can type "Guile" at the bash shell prompt and Gnu Guile 2.0.11
> comes up (and works fine). To get to SIy, I followed the instructions
> (after installing wget on Mac OS X using brew(*)):
> ……………………………………………………………………………..
> wget https://files.dthompson.us/sly/sly-0.1.tar.gz
> tar xf sly-0.1.tar.gz
> cd sly-0.1
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> ………………………………………………………………………………
>
> given at the site
>
> https://dthompson.us/projects/sly.html
>
> but after issuing ./configure, I got the
> response:
> ………………………………………………………………………............
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... build-aux/install-sh -c -d
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... no
> checking for awk... awk
> checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
> checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
> checking for guile... /usr/local/bin/guile
> checking for guile... (cached) /usr/local/bin/guile
> checking for Guile version >= 2.0.11... 2.0.11
> checking for guild... /usr/local/bin/guild
> checking for guile-config... /usr/local/bin/guile-config
> checking if (sdl sdl) is available... no
> configure: error: required guile module not found: (sdl sdl)

Sly depends on guile-sdl, so you must install that first and make sure
that the modules are on Guile's search path.

Please note that Sly is an abandoned project.  I have been writing a
more general purpose game programming library (*not* an engine) called
Chickadee that is actively maintained, however.

See: https://dthompson.us/projects/chickadee.html

Hope this helps,

- Dave