Re: Guile and MinGW

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Guile and MinGW
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 07:24:58 -0700

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 04:09:21PM +0300, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
> The question is mostly to devs:
>
> Are there any plans on merging wip MinGW fixes for 2.2 by Michael
> Gran into a stable release?  Any issues with them?  Or, maybe,
> they have already went to the one of releases? I've asked msys2
> maintainers [1], and they say they won't build the MinGW guile
> package from git.

Hi Vladimir,

This is Michael, and I never really tried to incorporate these patches
into a stable release. I made that fork to document a build I made
for a game jam, and never continued further with it.

Maybe when I get a chance, I can put together a set of patches off
of the last released Guile 2.2.6 that you could put in a MinGW PKGBUILD,
but, they would be rather extensive, since there needs to be a gnulib
update.  I would probably take me a week or so.

Also, I never figured out 64-bit problem or the the threads problem.
The threads problem is because winpthreads and bdw-gc and Guile don't
work well together, and the 64-bit build has problems because it
assumes long integers are 8 bytes.

Regards,

Michael Gran