Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:37:24 +0100

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 08:48:13 +0200
"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 08:16:34AM +0200, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> > Regarding the mailling list, many projects (among GNOME) have or will
> > adopt https://www.discourse.org/. It has a per-user mailling list mode
> > but it can not bridge mailman. My guess is that a discourse instance
> > only for GNU Guile and Guix would be overkill, so maybe GNU might
> > consider using that software?
>
> I only know that subscribing to GNOME Discourse required Javascript
> and its mail headers are less pretty compared to mailman.
>
> I would prefer eventually having a forum/bulletin board-like Web
> interface to mailing lists in Guile and until then stick to pure
> mailing lists.

That's pretty much what discourse is - an attractive web interface to
something like mailing lists, with the option to use a mail client
interface as well as the web interface if you want.

To be clear I am definitely not pushing for this kind of change
(I think I must be quite old-fashioned because it seems to me that
traditional mailing lists work fine), nor am I particularly against it.
I am not sure what it is that caused gnome to move from mailman to
discourse, but I suspect it was to get the more up-to-date feel of a web
interface.  I notice also that the ocaml "mailing list" also uses
discourse, should anyone want to ask them what they get out of it.