Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 15:43:26 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:37:24AM +0100, Chris Vine wrote:
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> > I would prefer eventually having a forum/bulletin board-like Web
> > interface to mailing lists in Guile and until then stick to pure
> > mailing lists.
>
> That's pretty much what discourse is - an attractive web interface to
> something like mailing lists, with the option to use a mail client
> interface as well as the web interface if you want.

I've some practical experience with Discourse and... I'd say it's
the other way around. Shiny GUI is the paradigm, mail is just a
let's-keep-those-old-goofs-happy afterthought.

If you're wired around mail, it's not enjoyable. Feels like
a second-class citizen to me.

This doesn't sound positive, I know -- but I think the "problem"
might lie at a deeper level and won't be solvable without deeper
analysis (instead of hacking together yet-another-forum).

Just watch the regular conflicts between top-posters and top-post
phobia on other mailing lists: those tensions are cultural, and
can't be addressed "just" by a tool.

I'm not dismissing Todor's insighful initial post -- not in the
least! Actually I think he's very right. But perhaps we need
bridges between cultures and not just between tools. And that
takes deep thinking (and people instead of machines, maybe).

Cheers
-- t