Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:14:22 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 10:02:11PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 03:43:26PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > But perhaps we need
> > bridges between cultures and not just between tools. And that
> > takes deep thinking (and people instead of machines, maybe).
> >

> I believe good mailing list etiquette is similar to good forum
> etiquette.  Today’s culture is not a forum culture, of course.

I'm talking of a more implicit culture.

I've taken part in more than one of those "split medium" situations,
the most common that one where the whole company had Outlook as their
UI whereas I had mutt. Issues like "top posting" were typical (top
posting being confusing for me, in-quote posting for most of the
rest of the world) and many other such subtleties.

If someone tries to explain something to someone else about one
of the exchanged messages, it is often in terms of the GUI. You
only become aware of that when you try to live at the rift.

Think "semantic markup" (which doesn't really exist). People think
in terms of "bold", "italic", "top left" etc, because that's how
they /read/ -- those markup's "semantic" varies just so slightly
depending on context. Then academicians come and say "no, no,
you have to think "semantically", i.e. in terms of "strong",
"emphasised", "important", etc -- and they are right, but then
they're not, because they are just peeling the onion off its
999th skin. When they finish, there's no onion :-)

At the end, the medium is (at least part of) the message, to steal
a well-known word.

Sorry for the rambling -- I hope you understand now what I
meant by "culture".

Cheers
-- tomás