Re: [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 20:17:41 +0000

Hello all ;-)

I ported the code to Chez Scheme to do an apple-to-apple comparison
between GNU Guile and Chez and took the time to launch a few queries
against Virtuoso available in Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS).

Spoiler: the new code is always faster.

The hard disk is SATA, and the CPU is dubbed: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz

I imported latest-lexeme.nt (6GB) using guile-nomunofu, chez-nomunofu
and Virtuoso:

- Chez takes 40 minutes to import 6GB
- Chez is 3 to 5 times faster than Guile
- Chez is 11% faster than Virtuoso

Regarding query time, Chez is still faster than Virtuoso with or
without cache.  The query I am testing is the following:

SELECT ?s ?p ?o
FROM <http://fu>
WHERE {
  ?s <http://purl.org/dc/terms/language> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q150> .
  ?s <http://wikiba.se/ontology#lexicalCategory>
<http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q1084> .
  ?s <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> ?o
};

Virtuoso first query takes: 1295 msec.
The second query takes: 331 msec.
Then it stabilize around: 200 msec.

chez nomunofu takes around 200ms without cache.

There is still an optimization I can do to speed up nomunofu a little.

Happy hacking!