Re: [Wikidata] [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Wikidata] [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 09:56:17 +0100

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 06:36:06PM -0500, Ted Thibodeau Jr via General Guile
related discussions wrote:

[...]

> Hi, Amirouche --
>
> Kingsley's points about tuning Virtuoso to use available
> RAM [1] and other system resources are worth looking into,
> but a possibly more important first question is --
>
>    Exactly what version of Virtuoso are you testing?
>
> If you followed the common script on Ubuntu 18.04, i.e., --
>
>    sudo apt update
>
>    sudo apt install virtuoso-opensource

Hi, Ted

I see you do have a stake in the game. That's fine, since having
a good technical discussion should be independent of that. So
thanks for chiming in!

> -- then you likely have version 6.1.6 of VOS, the Open Source
> Edition of Virtuoso, which shipped 2012-08-02 [2], and is far
> behind the latest version of both VOS (v7.2.5+) and Enterprise
> Edition (v8.3+)!

Wouldn't that be something your company could contribute to
Ubuntu/Debian? Contact the package maintainers and help keeping
the free version of Virtuoso up to snuff on those platforms?

A rising tide, etc?

> You can also try Enterprise Edition at no cost for 30 days [5].

I think it's somewhat unfair to try to compare a freshly
done free project with an established commercial one.

> I'll be interested to hear your new results, with a current build,
> and with proper INI tuning in place.

Why not assist Amirouche on that part? After all, you have
much easier access to Virtuoso expertise, and me, at least,
rather prefer Amirouche to spend his time tuning his wonderful
free creatures than tuning Virtuoso ;-P (of course, he'll end
up doing what he enjoys most, I'd hope!).

Cheers
-- tomás