Re: GNU Guile 2.9.8 Released [beta]

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.9.8 Released [beta]
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 11:41:26 +0100

On Fri 03 Jan 2020 06:34, Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> writes:

> When I was trying to compile Artanis, the configure threw an error:
> ----------------------------
> checking for Guile version >= 3.0... configure: error: Guile 3.0 required,
> but 2.9.8 found
> ----------------------------
>
> Here's what I put in configure.ac:
> GUILE_PKG(2.2 2.3 2.9 3.0)
>
> My question is "what's the correct config here"?

There was a bug in guile.m4 from a few years ago doesn't do the right
thing for major version changes.  I think you need to update guile.m4
from git, then do:

GUILE_PKG([2.2 3.0])

Also note that it's not meaningful to put in alpha releases to GUILE_PKG
-- 2.9.7's effective version is 3.0.

FWIW I would encourage doing GUILE_PKG([3.0 2.2]) instead, as it's
generally the right thing to default to newer Guile release series.

Cheers,

Andy