Re: Pure (side-effect-free) calls into c/c++?

From: Christopher Lam
Subject: Re: Pure (side-effect-free) calls into c/c++?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:03:03 +0000

I can add a contribution! The good thing about memoize is it's simple to
create. You forgot a catch however: if the memoized return-val is #f then
your memoizer https://hg.sr.ht/~bjoli/misc/browse/default/memoize.scm will
not recognise that #f is a valid cached return-val and will call the lambda
again. (FWIW I shudder think what a *fast* memoizer would do).

Here's how I did mine:

(define (memoize f)
  (let ((h (make-hash-table)))
    (lambda args
      (cond
       ((hash-ref h args) => car)
       (else (let ((res (apply f args)))
               (hash-set! h args (list res))
               res))))))

(define-syntax-rule (lambda/macro args body ...)
  (memoize (lambda args body ...)))

(define-syntax-rule (define/macro (f . args) body ...)
  (define f lambda/macro args body ...))