Re: [ANN] Guile Hall 0.3.0 released

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile Hall 0.3.0 released
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 08:31:18 +0200

Il giorno dom 24 mag 2020 alle ore 23:22 Alex Sassmannshausen <
address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Hey Catonano,

Hi Alex !

Thank you for your review ☺

I liked the style of your text.  I've taken the liberty to expand on it
> some more — but I'm happy to go with your version if you / the
> maintainers prefer.

I'd go with my version, if you don't mind

> Also, I changed references from guile-hall to Hall.  Whilst the name of
> the folder etc is guile-hall, the project itself is called Hall, or
> Guile Hall to make it part of the Guile family :-)

Well, yes, I welcome this suggestion of yours !

The project name is "Hall", not "guile-hall"

Just a few words on why I'd prefer my version

There are 2 sentences in your version that i find debatable

The first one is:
"Hall helps you create, manage and package your Guile projects through a
simple commandline interface"

because there is nothing in Guile that is not meant for usage at the
command line, unfortunately

Also, the Autotools documentation suffers from the same problem of almost
ALL the GNU documentation: it's focused on properties and features and
completely (?) disregards user stories

Because of this reason, if I was a neecomer reading the Guile manual, I
wouldn't be able to associate the "create, manage and package your Guile
project" to the API offered by the Autotools machinery

Such association is not stated anywhere, as far as I can tell

So I'd be confused by such a formulation

The second sentence is:
"without worrying about whether your code will work on other
 people's computers"

I find that this sentence is more of the tutorial type

Finally, in your version the Autotools setup is mentioned as the last thing
introduced by "In addition..."

To me the Autotools setup is not an addition, it's the bread and butter of
Hall. it's the cetral feature !

And it needs to be stated first and foremost !

I wrote a new version (attached here) but it ends up being very similar to
my original one

I would go ith this one or my original one, for the reasons I mentioned

I hope this is not a problem 😯