Re: "Missing" libraries/concepts found in other languages/ecosystems?

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: "Missing" libraries/concepts found in other languages/ecosystems?
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 12:08:52 +0200

Il giorno mer 8 lug 2020 alle ore 09:38 Simen Endsjø <simendsjo@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> Hi, I'm new to scheme/lisp, so I'm trying to find out how to do
> things the "lisp
> way". On the other hand, I like things from other ecosystems too,
> and I'm having
> problems finding this for Guile. It might be because there's no
> need for it/I'm
> terrible at searching/nobody had the time yet, or something else.
>
> I've been trying to find implementations for https://reactivex.io
> without any
> luck. And I'm unable to find implementation of FP concepts as
> found in Haskell
> and other languages. Functor, Monad, lenses (and other helpers for
>
> as for guile based lenses you can take a look at this project

https://gitlab.com/a-sassmannshausen/guile-lens

Another couple of projects I feel I can suggest you are

https://hg.sr.ht/~bjoli/guile-fash/
and
https://hg.sr.ht/~bjoli/guile-fector

Also, you might be interested in this list

http://sph.mn/foreign/guile-software.html

How do I know these things ?

There's no central source, I think this stuff is not even on he Guile web
site and as far as I know, Fash and Fecor are not in the Guix collection (I
didn't check, they might be)

If you look at this list
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist

the Guile section is empty

I know these things because I have been lurking the Guile channels for years

That's how discoverability works in Guile: hang on the channels for years

The Guile community seems to be completely oblivious to the problem of
discoverability

Recently I've seen someone interrogating the bot on the irc channel, and
get some interesting information in return, I don't remember if such
information was about packages or usage patterns

I didn't bother to take a note because by now I am exhausted by this
attitude

And it's not only about packages

It's about usage patterns too

After years I discovered purely by chance a blog post by a member of the
Guile community about how to get a list of defined procedures in a given
module programmatically

The manual assumes you are going to read it ALL and throughout, it's
strictly segregates issues and completely disregard the experience of any
newcomer

You're assumed to have good knowledge of the Posix/Gnu system

The manual is strictly a reference for people with that knowledge and
cognitive style

No tutorials, no use cases, no examples

I suggest you to take a look at this blog post
https://www.hillelwayne.com/post/learning-a-language/

Guile fares pretty bad on many of the points raised in that post

Acquiring knowledge about how to do things in Guile is excruciating

And honestly I think this concurred in making Python the extension language
de facto instead of Guile

So that's why you don't find stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯