Re: "Missing" libraries/concepts found in other languages/ecosystems?

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: "Missing" libraries/concepts found in other languages/ecosystems?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:49:37 +0200

Il giorno mer 8 lug 2020 alle ore 20:22 Zelphir Kaltstahl <
zelphirkaltstahl@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi Simen!
>
> On 7/8/20 6:00 PM, guile-user-request@gnu.org wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new to scheme/lisp, so I'm trying to find out how to do
> > things the "lisp
> > way". On the other hand, I like things from other ecosystems too,
> > and I'm having
> > problems finding this for Guile. It might be because there's no
> > need for it/I'm
> > terrible at searching/nobody had the time yet, or something else.
> >
> > I've been trying to find implementations for https://reactivex.io
> > without any
> > luck. And I'm unable to find implementation of FP concepts as
> > found in Haskell
> > and other languages. Functor, Monad, lenses (and other helpers for
> > working with
> > immutable data).
> >
> > Does things like this exists, or is it better to use something
> > else?
> >
> > Regards Simen
>
> To what others already have written I will add:
>
> From time to time one can copy ideas from Racket or look at what exists
> in Racket for solving a problem or seeing what the approach is.
>
> Catonano identified already the lack of examples in the Guile guide. I
> fight with that myself, so I created a repository with examples. Perhaps
> I should somehow add them to the guide. I've not looked into how to do
> that. Probably some commit in a repo somewhere for the guide:
>
> https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guile-examples
>
> Hope this can help!

Thank you, yes that helps

In fact, it's a precious resource !

I was especially delighted with the examples of using exceptions !

I had so missed examples of those !

As for the manual, very recently a mention of Guile Hall ended up being
included in the manual

The same could be done with your examples collection

I also think that your collection could be mentioned by the Guile web site,
maybe in the "learn" section

Here's the repo for the web site:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile/guile-web.git/

a regular patch could do

What do people think of mentioning this resource on the Guile web site ?