Re: Starting a GNU Guile awesome list

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: Starting a GNU Guile awesome list
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:56:39 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:20 PM Zelphir Kaltstahl <
zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hello Guile Users,
>
> I followed up on that idea I mentioned recently on the mailing list and
> started creating an awesome list:
>
> https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/awesome-guile
>
> I'd prefer to render only the org-mode file, as that is what I write and
> feel most comfortable in, but I decided that the wrong / incomplete
> rendering on notabug would seriously limit accessibility, so I exported
> markdown and texinfo from org-mode.
>
> If you know more things, which should be added to the list, please tell
> me or create a PR or open an issue or … you get it.
>
> Also links to usage examples would be very welcome.
>
> I would like to keep the list informal and easily extendable. A few
> questions though:
>
>   * Do you think license information should be written next to each item
>     in the list?
>   * Do you think each item should have a short description or not? Or
>     perhaps whenever one is readily available?
>   * Do you think the rendered readme.md should be handwritten instead of
>     exported from org-mode? (Perhaps I should not ask this question …
>     the amount of markdown typing … my fingers hurt.)

This is awesome :-) Zelphir!

- I don't think license should be included. It might change (even though it
usually does not) but if so it would be hard to maintain.
- Maybe that would be good. The list could be actually simplified with just
(with sections as you already have):

[project](url): description.    (using markdown format here)

I would actually remove repository and documentation links and just depend
on the project's URL. I believe it will be easier to maintain (plus
shorter), IMHO.

- Not everyone is used to org-mode. Do you have any specific setup that
generates the markdown file? Or is it vanilla org-mode? If you keep it
simple as I suggested it might be easier to maintain a handwritten version.

Whatever it is, this is great!

Btw, a couple of my own missing:
https://github.com/aconchillo/homebrew-guile
https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-xmlrpc