Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)

From: divoplade
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 08:47:25 +0200

Hello,

Le vendredi 24 juillet 2020 à 03:06 +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov a écrit :
> Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> wrote:
> > https://jeko.frama.io
> > ## Installation
> > ### On Windows
> >
> > No solution yet.
>
> Is that true?  Itʼs true (and a pity) that there no official
> packages, of course, but ‘no solution’?

>From what I gathered, there are a few stupid problems with existing
patches to make guile build for mingw (
https://github.com/mkeeter/guile-mingw/), but there is the hard problem
that the garbage collector won't work on mingw x86_64 because it
expects that pointers can fit in longs.

Anyways, I say that if we can't have mingw x86_64, let's have i686 and
everyone will be happy enough. By the time i686 is insufficient,
Windows will already be another OS built around linux anyway (n.b. this
is a personal opinion ^^). But there is a chance I fundamentally
misunderstood something...