Re: Namespace confusion/pollution in languages implemented via Guile's c

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Namespace confusion/pollution in languages implemented via Guile's compile-tower
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 19:15:22 +0100

Holger Peters <holger.peters@posteo.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> This is as intended.
>
> Do you have a rationale for this intention?  I have been thinking
> about this for weeks now, and I still cannot come up with a scenario
> when I would like this behaviour.  That is if I'd load a lua-on-guile
> REPL, I wouldn't like to have Lua symbols missing and Scheme symbols
> present.

The intention is that when in the REPL you have some extra-tools that a
typical script does not need.

Looking at boot-9, guile-user mostly adds compile and compile-file.
You’ll want to be able to compile stuff in the REPL, but scripts should
not need to worry about that (because they get auto-compiled anyway).

The intention is not to provide Scheme-tools to Lua, but to provide
extended Scheme-tools when you’re in the REPL.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein