Demanding Interoperability to Strengthen the Free (Libre) Web: Introduci

From: Vivien Kraus
Subject: Demanding Interoperability to Strengthen the Free (Libre) Web: Introducing DISFLUID
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 13:21:11 +0200

Hello Guile users,

I’m writing a Solid server in guile:

https://disfluid.planete-kraus.eu/
https://labo.planete-kraus.eu/webid-oidc.git/

The main point of Solid [1] is to separate the web applications from
the data they use in an interoperable way.

It’s in the spirit of Activitypub, but closer to the current
architecture of the web. So, whenever you see "Log in with <data
silo>", you could easily demand that the application let you log in
with your identity on your Solid pod.

If that takes off, we’ll be able to run any competing web application
with any data storage ("pod"), because the communication is
interoperable and the vocabulary used is public. Which means that we
will be able to easily replace proprietary program with free programs!
The best thing is, we won’t even need to develop for a web browser.
That’s a cool solution to the JavaScript trap.

Now, we need to make sure that there is a freedom-respecting way to
develop applications. This is why I’m writing this project. With a
clear focus on user freedom, we will maximize our chances to avoid the
future JS traps. In this regard, disfluid is not Solid.

[1]: https://solidproject.org/