Re: [EXT] Can guile be implementation independent?

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: [EXT] Can guile be implementation independent?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:05:36 -0500

Hi Jacob,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 8:43 PM Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> wrote:

> I am used to working with common lisp where i can write code that is
> "implementation independent" meaning that following a specific coding
> style makes it compatible across multiple interpretators/compilers
> (sbcl, LispWorks, etc..)
>
> Is there a way to do the same on GNU Guile? Like writing a code that can
> be interpreted by implementations that are following the IEEE 1178-2008
> or R7RS standard?

I think the shortest and easiest answer to this question, in practice, is "no."

While it is possible to write programs that conform to a specific
Scheme standard and thus work on all implementations supporting that
standard, there are few real world programs that can be written within
such limits. And coming from a Common Lisp background, where the
standard is huge, you'll likely find the available Scheme standards
lacking.

I prefer to think of each Scheme implementation as its own distinct
language, because in many ways they are. I don't write Scheme
programs, I write Guile programs. I want to use Guile's delimited
continuations, foreign function interface, compiler tower, etc. so
limiting myself to standard Scheme would be a real bummer.

- Dave

    "This here ain't no Common Lisp."
      - Thaddeus Scheme, Sr. (1975)