Re: [EXT] Can guile be implementation independent?

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: [EXT] Can guile be implementation independent?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:57:52 +0100

On 19.12.2021 21:03, Keith Wright wrote:

> Do we recoginize a distinction between core language and libraries?

R5RS and earlier don't have libraries.  The things I listed as lacking
in RnRS (whether 6 or 7) are taking into account all optional libraries
listed in the respective standard.  E.g. the "libraries" document of the
R6RS has nothing for networking or threading, and the standard libraries
of R7RS-small don't have anything for hash tables.

> Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:
>
>>>    I wonder why your releases all seem to target Guile 2
>>>    Will this also work with Guile 3?
>>
>> New Stuff gets my attention sooner when it is kind to Old Stuff.
>
> Q: Can portable code be run with Guile?
> A: If you have to ask Guile-2 or Guile-3 then you can't do it.
>     (But TTN might.)

That's a different thing entirely.  A library written *specifically* for
Guile might use low-level facilities found in a specific Guile version.
This has little to do with the viability of writing Scheme code that runs
on various Scheme implementation.

(One should also note that the transition from Guile 2 to 3 is not like
the Guile 1.8 to 2.0 transition at all.)

--
Taylan