Re: sxml-match bad pattern syntax

From: tomas
Subject: Re: sxml-match bad pattern syntax
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:06:55 +0100

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 04:21:39AM -0500, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> () <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> () Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:28:32 +0100
>
>    > Ah, right!  The ellipses are a tail that need to follow a
>    > head.
>
>    No, the ellipses tell the matcher that the symbol to its left

[...]

> I think we're saying the same thing, but in any case, i
> understand what you're saying.

I see now. I was mis-reading you.

[...]

> I think the ‘otherwise’ clause is a bit unwieldy; it presumes
> normal form 3 (attribute lists always present).  However, i
> couldn't find a way to match "any element".  ISTM the element
> portion (first symbol in the form) MUST be non-variable.

At first blush it seems so. At least, when I try [1], it yells at
me with something something

  Throw to key `sxml-match-error' with args `(#f "bad pattern syntax (not an
element pattern)" ...

Hm.

Cheers

[1] what I try is matching the tag to an unquoted var, like
   so (match ((,tag ...))).