Re: guile_gi-0.3.2 released

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: guile_gi-0.3.2 released
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 08:45:58 -0800

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 09:40:56PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> Curious if this covers all the common GNOME APIs on GNOME 3?
>
> Also is there plan to cover gtk 4?   Also to makg GObject appear as
> GOOPS objects?

Like Chris noted, the bindings are generated at run-time by reading a
typelib file that describes a C library. Many GNOME libraries provide
typelib files.  You might have some in a directory such as
"/usr/lib/girepository-1.0" or somesuch.

I have yet to try to use Gtk4 beyond making sure that its typelib can
be parsed.  There is some functionality that Gtk4 requires that
guile-gi can't handle yet, such as vfuncs.

The generated bindings do use GOOPS but GOOPS is bolted on top of
GObject's own class hierarchy, so it is a bit of a hybrid.

-Mike Gran