Re: understanding guile-gi

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: understanding guile-gi
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:30:52 +0000

On 1/17/22 3:16 AM, Chris Vine wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:39:47 +0000
> Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the example link and the explanations! I'll try to learn from the
>> example.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Zelphir
>>
>> On 1/16/22 5:45 PM, Luis Felipe wrote:

>>> Maybe this can serve as an overview of where is everything:
>>>
>>> For generic GTK apps (not necessarily targeted at GNOME):
>>> https://www.gtk.org/docs/apis/
>>>
>>> For GTK apps that integrate well with GNOME:
>>> https://developer.gnome.org/documentation/introduction/components.html
>>>
>>> Also, for new projects, if you would like your app to adapt well to
>>> different screens, like modern web apps do, maybe take a look at libhandy
>>> (https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/libhandy/) and libadwaita
>>> (https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/libadwaita/doc/). The latter, if I
>>> understand correctly will replace the former.
>>>
>>> Also, note that Glade (https://glade.gnome.org/) only supports GTK 3, and
>>> there doesn't seem to be any plans to support GTK 4, so people seem to be
>>> writing GUIs by hand in GTK 4 projects.
> Can you please not top post?
>
> The posting to which you have replied has not appeared with me.  But it
> (and the comments concerned) have nothing to do with gobject-introspection
> or guile-gi.  "Understanding guile-gi" still appears as the notional title
> of this thread so if you want to change the subject you might want also to
> change the title to avoid complete confusion.

Hi Chris!

By "top post" you mean writing an answer or a reply above the part, that is
quoted? I assume so.

I have only quoted e-mail text, which immediately has to do with my original
question and a subject, which I myself chose. So I don't know how you can
possibly get the idea, that those have nothing to do with the topic. Perhaps the
confusion stems from something in your e-mail client, that displays top posted
replies weirdly? In my e-mail client it is very clear, what is quoted text and
what is the reply. I am unaware of the specific problem, potentially caused by
"top posting".

I am also not "changing" the subject here. Or do you mean "If you ever want to
change the subject, it would be better to do have the posts be written in a
different way."? I am replying to someone, who replied to my topic starter
e-mail. I am not intending to change the title at the moment.

Lastly, I was not aware, that there is a "bottom post" rule or convention on
this mailing list. If that is indeed the case, I will try to remember in the
future. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,
Zelphir

--