Re: GuileScript 0.0.0 released

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: GuileScript 0.0.0 released
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:33:45 -0800

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:11 AM Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de>
wrote:

> Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm excited to announce GuileScript 0.0.0. GuileScript aims to be a Guile
> > to JavaScript compiler. It currently doesn't do much but there are some
> > working examples like fibonacci, binary search and reversing a vector.
>
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guilescript
> >
> > Comments, suggestions, patches and full rewrites are welcomed. :-)
>
> That’s really cool!

Thank you!

> I currently use biwascheme¹ for simple tools,² and it would be great to
> be able to move from it to Guile, because biwascheme breaks Scheme’s
> scoping.

May be one day you can move to GuileScript :-D.

> It might be pretty hard to really get this right, though. There’s some
> existing work for the compile with the full runtime:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2021-10/msg00018.html

There are many things I haven't even thought about yet, like multiple
return values. Basically all I did was based on my absolute ignorance of
where I was getting into, I guess that's how some things start :-). I took
a look at Guile's Tree-IL and it looked simple enough for me to do
something with it. I have no idea how far Tree-IL will take me though, I
don't know enough yet. I considered CPS, but opened the Tree-IL -> CPS
compiler and it was too much for me to understand as I just wanted to get
something working quickly. I also thought about also integration Google's
Closure Compiler which will hopefully optimize the generated code. Also,
the plan might just be to have a subset of Guile working. I might also try
to mimic ClojureScript evolution, that's actually how I created
Guilescript. I first checked Tree-IL then took a look at ClojureScript
first commit and then created something similar. I don't know where they
went next :-).

Thank you for your feedback!

Aleix