Re: Guile optimizations slowing down the program?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Guile optimizations slowing down the program?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 08:53:43 +0100

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
> Jean Abou Samra schreef op wo 09-03-2022 om 00:31 [+0100]:
>> In summary, the less Guile optimizes, the faster LilyPond runs. Is that
>> something expected?
>
> I don't think so, but I don't have a clue how this happens ...

Do I understand it correctly that Lilypond has lots of snippets that are
executed exactly once? In that case it could be expected that the
overhead of optimization dominates — maybe even the overhead of
increased code-size from inlining?

Also the new baseline compiler is already pretty good:
https://wingolog.org/archives/2020/06/03/a-baseline-compiler-for-guile

Maybe this?

> There is also a felicitous feedback effect in that because the
> baseline compiler is much smaller than the CPS compiler, it takes less
> time to macro-expand —
> https://wingolog.org/archives/2020/06/03/a-baseline-compiler-for-guile

Best wishes,
Arne