Re: GNU Shepherd 0.9.0 released

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: GNU Shepherd 0.9.0 released
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:19:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:

Tim Van den Langenbergh <tmt_vdl@gmx.com> writes:

Ognen Duzlevski <maketo@sdf.org> writes:

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
We are pleased to announce the GNU Shepherd version 0.8.1.  This release
represents 49 commits by 3 people, bringing a new concurrent,
event-driven core, improved logging, and on-demand service startup.

Does Shepherd only run on Linux?

It is intended for use on GNU/Hurd, but it is supposed to work on every
POSIX-like system where Guile is available.  In particular, it has been
tested on GNU/Linux.

So if you prefer to run the Hurd rather than Linux, it should work fine.

Tim, thanks!

I run FreeBSD and it uses kqueue instead of epoll so even if Guile
technically runs on FreeBSD, fibers do not.

I don't mind submitting a patch to make this happen.

Some pointers you might find helpful:

When Ludo’ originally announced this work⁰, this limitation was known, but, fortunately, work is already underway to bring fibers to other platforms via libevent¹.

0: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-03/msg00125.html
1: https://github.com/wingo/fibers/pull/53

Best,
Jack