Re: Indentation with inline comments in Emacs

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Indentation with inline comments in Emacs
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:44:29 +0000

Hi Zelphir,

On Sunday, April 17th, 2022 at 10:49 AM, Zelphir Kaltstahl
<zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:

> I have the same indentation issue though, when I use #||# comments for
> arguments, which are not keyword arguments, but I want to hint what they are
> used for. One could argue, that I should rewrite the called function to use
> keyword arguments, or, if it is a library function, I should wrap it. Hmmm.
> Maybe that's a valid point.

Or document the function and its parameter using a documentation string
(docstring) instead of comments? This way, you or the users of your code can
read that documentation with Emacs Geiser.

For instance:

(define (get-field record field)
  "Get the value of FIELD from RECORD.

  RECORD (Guile Record or SRFI 9 Record)
    A record of any type.

  FIELD (Symbol)
    The name of the field.

  RETURN VALUE (Anything)
    The value of the field.

  If the FIELD does not exist, a no-such-field exception is raised."
  (let* [(descriptor (record-type-descriptor record))
         (access-field (record-accessor descriptor field))]

    (access-field record)))

Then, in Emacs, when calling this procedure, you would place the caret in
get-field, press C-c C-d C-d, and Emacs would show its documentation in a
buffer.

That's my documentation style, though, which is not conventional, but just an
example.

Using documentation string is also useful if you later want to [auto]generate
API documentation.