Re: Curiosity: Microkernel implemented in Guile ?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Curiosity: Microkernel implemented in Guile ?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:30:56 +0200

Ognen Duzlevski <maketo@sdf.org> writes:

> Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net> writes:
>> Isn't a cool mix the functional approach of Guile and the modular one
>> of Microkernel ? (and loads of more features i suppose!)
>
> What I think would be easier to do is embed Scheme inside an OS kernel....

With the Hurd you reduce the scope of what is the kernel, so Scheme can
do lots of jobs usually reserved for lower-level languages. You could
for example write your complete filesystem or networking layer in
Scheme.

This may sound strange at first, but LuaJIT is already used for packet
filtering, so it’s not that far out. For the performance critical parts,
you can still FFI to Rust or C.

Best wishes,
Arne
--