Re: map-par slower than map

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: map-par slower than map
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 17:55:10 -0400

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022, Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> all is in the title, i test on a approximately 30000 element list , i got
> 9s with map and 3min 30s with par-map on exactly the same piece of
> code!?

I can only speculate here.  But trying with a very simple example here:
(use-modules (statprof))
(statprof (lambda () (par-map 1+ (iota 300000))))

Performance are terrible.  I don't know how par-map is implemented, but
if it does 1 element static scheduling -- which it probably does because
you pass a linked list and not a vector -- then yeah you can assure that
thing will be very slow.

You're probably better off with dynamic scheduling with vectors.  Here's
a quick snippet I made for static scheduling but with vectors.  Feel
free to roll your own.

(use-modules
 (srfi srfi-1)
 (ice-9 threads))

(define* (par-map-vector proc input
                         #:optional
                         (max-thread (current-processor-count)))

  (let* ((block-size (quotient (vector-length input) max-thread))
         (rest (remainder (vector-length input) max-thread))
         (output (make-vector (vector-length input) #f)))
    (when (not (zero? block-size))
      (let ((mtx (make-mutex))
            (cnd (make-condition-variable))
            (n 0))
        (fold
         (lambda (scale output)
           (begin-thread
            (let lp ((i 0))
              (when (< i block-size)
                (let ((i (+ i (* scale block-size))))
                  (vector-set! output i (proc (vector-ref input i))))
                (lp (1+ i))))
            (with-mutex mtx
              (set! n (1+ n))
              (signal-condition-variable cnd)))
           output)
         output
         (iota max-thread))
        (with-mutex mtx
          (while (not (< n max-thread))
            (wait-condition-variable cnd mtx))))
    (let ((base (- (vector-length input) rest)))
      (let lp ((i 0))
        (when (< i rest)
          (let ((i (+ i base)))
            (vector-set! output i (proc (vector-ref input i))))
    output))

Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev