[h-e-w] Emacs + IMAP/MS Exchange

From: Underwood, Jonathan
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs + IMAP/MS Exchange
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:18:27 -0400

Hi

I know this comes up periodically, but to my knowledge it's never been
resolved all that satisfactorily...

I wish to be able to read and send mail using emacs, and my institution uses
an MS Exchange server for mail. This runs smtp for sending mail, as well as
POP3 and IMAP for delivery (as well as being an exchange server of course).
I want to be able to read my mail on my computer using emacs, but leave it
on the server, so that it is accessible when i am away from my work PC. The
options i have found to date are:

1) gnus. News reader. Allegedly has full IMAP4 compatibility. Learning curve
steaper than barry manilows nose. Despite spending numerous hours trying to
figure out how to use this, no success. Yes i know this is my failing, but
it seems like overkill to be configuring a news reader to read mail anyway.

2) VM mail reader package. POP3 and crude IMAP support. IMAP support consits
of simply dragging mail off the server, and gives you the option of leaving
it there (such that it will all be dragged off again next time you start VM)
or deleting it. No way of marking stuff as read, or just recieving header
information etc. POP3 support has similar failings (though POP3 was never
meant for what i want to do, so not really "failings").

3) Wanderlust. Seems to be largely unused by the ntemacs community. Tried to
install and run it myself, but it requires the installation of the semi,
apel and flim libraries which have so many conflicts with lisp files in the
emacs distribution it breaks everything else, so again, gave up.

Has anyone managed to use an emacs based mail reader to access mail in a
manner similar to Outlook, properly using the IMAP4 protocol such that
different mail folders are accesible and mail may be left on the server etc
etc ?

Cheers,

jonathan.