Re: [h-e-w] Re: gnuserv misbehavior in Emacs 21

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: gnuserv misbehavior in Emacs 21
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:21:44 +0100

Oscar Fuentes writes:

> > I am running NT Emacs 21.2 on Windows NT.
> >
> > I have just noticed a strange behavior of gnuserv under this version.
> > With (gnuserv-start) in the .emacs file, the first time you start an
> > emacs process, gnuserv starts.  If you now start a second emacs
> > process, the gnuserv-start in the .emacs file is supposed to exit
> > without doing anything, since there is already a gnuserv process
> > running.  But, it does not doing so.  It (or something started by it)
> > is running in the background, and using up 100% of the CPU.  If I
> > remove gnuserv-start in the init file, everything is normal.
>
> Have you cygwin-mount.el on your .emacs? I've reported the same
> problem to gnu.emacs.help and it was caused by that package.

You are on the dot.  Removing cygwin-mount got rid of the problem.

So, we have an interaction between Emacs 21, cygwin-mount and gnuserv,
which is eating up cycles.  With Emacs 20 or without cygwin-mount,
things work normally.

I have also found another serious misbehavior Emacs 21, which I am
reporting separately.

Cheers,
Uday