Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.3.5 CVS compiled for NT

From: Robert Praetorius
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.3.5 CVS compiled for NT
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:12:57 -0400

[2nd try - problems with the local SMTP server on the 1st try.]

> Uh....am I missing something here?...do you mean "22.3.5" or should it
be
> "21.3.5"?....I didn't think that version 22 was going to be ready any
> time soon at all....

     Good point.  Even XEmacs Beta (which usually runs numerically ahead
of Emacs) is only up to 21.5.9.  Emacs README in CVS says 21.3.50 and
runnings strings on the emacs.exe in the tar file turns up the same.

     Here are MS Windows-related items from etc/NEWS (from a quick a non-
comprehensive skim of it):

** On MS Windows, the "system caret" now follows the cursor.
This enables Emacs to work better with programs that need to track
the cursor, for example screen magnifiers and text to speech programs.

** Tooltips now work on MS Windows.
See the Emacs 21.1 NEWS entry for tooltips for details.

** Some images are now supported on Windows.
PBM and XBM images are supported, other formats which require external
libraries may be supported in future.

** Pointing devices with more than 3 buttons are now supported on MS
Windows.
The new variable `w32-pass-extra-mouse-buttons-to-system' controls
whether Emacs should handle the extra buttons itself (the default), or
pass them to Windows to be handled with system-wide functions.

** On MS Windows, locale-coding-system is used to interact with the OS.
The Windows specific variable w32-system-coding-system, which was
formerly used for that purpose is now an alias for locale-coding-system.

more generally:

** Leim is now part of the Emacs distribution.
You no longer need to download a separate tarball in order to build
Emacs with Leim.

** The `emacsserver' program has been removed, replaced with elisp code.

** On X, MS Windows, and Mac OS, the blinking cursor's "off" state is
now shown as a hollow box or a thin bar.  However, you can control how
it blinks off by setting the variable `blink-cursor-alist'.

** mouse-wheels can now scroll a specific fraction of the window
(rather than a fixed number of lines) and the scrolling is `progressive'.

and about 260 other changes