Re: [h-e-w] Using control keys in bash shell within emacs

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:59:19 +0100

From: "Jeff Rancier" <address@hidden>
To: "Emacs Help (Windows)" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 2:11 PM

> I'm using cygwin bash, 2.05b, as my NTEmacs shell (GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy).  Is there any way to have
> (e.g.) C-p, scroll through the history, instead of the default emacs
> behaviour of moving to the previous line in a buffer.  I tried:
>
>     set -o emacs
>
> in my .bash_profile/.bashrc, but that didn't work.  Works fine when I kick
> off cygwin bash outside of NTEmacs.  If this kind of thing doesn't work,
can
> someone explain the advantage of kicking off a bash shell inside of Emacs?

Not much as far as I can see, which is why I don't do it.  All the
interaction in a *shell* buffer is handled by Emacs and not by the shell, so
there is not much point running a shell (such as bash) that has very good
interactive facilities.  You might as well run ash, although I can't
guarantee that works at all.  I stick with the Windows command interpreters.
I use control-up/downarrow to scroll up and down through the shell history
as remembered by Emacs and you could presumably rebind C-p/C-n to perform
the same function if you wanted.

Francis