Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs on Windows a piece of cake!

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs on Windows a piece of cake!
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:47:26 -0400

David,

Can you speak for cygwin?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 5:31 PM

"Underwood, Jonathan" <address@hidden> writes:

> As an aside, with the availability of mingw and cygwin, I wonder if the
> ntemacs port couldn't be configured by the usual congigure script in the
> base source directory as it would on any other unix system, or is this
> something to do with keeping compatibility with MSVC ?

Even mingw32 tools are Windows programs that need Windows
paths. Also, the standard configure script would require a bourne
compatible shell.

The cygwin build does use the standard configure scripts AFAIK, but
does not do native Windows display (and probably has numerous other
bugs lurking due to the fact that Windows is different in many ways
to Unix-like systems, no matter how transparent cygwin tries to make
this).