[h-e-w] Re: isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?

From: Thomas L Roche
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:55:34 -0400

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Roche wrote:
>> Use case: I'm in a dired buffer in GNU Emacs 21.1.1 on w2k. I
>> want to _interactively_ search for the string 'GenericAction'
>> (and replace with 'ActionClass') in all files with names
>> matching '*.java' anywhere in the directory tree below the
>> current directory.

Dave Forrest 10/14/2002 02:37 PM
> Would the Operate/Query replace in marked files Q
>  or
> dired-do-query-replace do what you need?

No, because it requires marking the matching files first, but if
there's a way to do that, I could (manually) chain the two
operations.

Alternatively, is there a way that I could query-replace-regexp
on a grep-mode buffer, instead of a dired buffer? I'd be happy if
I could

M-x grep-find RET

find . -type f -print0 -name '*.java'| xargs -0 -e grep -n -e
'GenericAction' | grep -v 'EGLGenericAction' | grep -v
'GenericActionModel' | grep -v 'GenericActionCodeGenContrib' RET

Q RET

GenericAction RET

ActionClass RET