Re: [h-e-w] ispell and complete word

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ispell and complete word
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:39:22 +0100

From: "Chris Lott" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 2:35 AM
Subject: [h-e-w] ispell and complete word

> Does anyone have ispell working so that the complete word function is
> available?
>
> I installed ispell from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/contrib/ispell.zip
> and it works fine for ispell-buffer
>
> But isell-complete-word gives me an error that "searching for program:
there
> is no such file or directory, egrep" although egrep is available from the
> shell window:
>
> bash-2.05b$ egrep -V
> egrep (GNU grep) 2.5

On my system, egrep is an old-style symlink to grep, which bash can follow
but NTEmacs can't.  One easy solution to that problem is to hard link (NTFS)
or copy (FAT) grep.exe to egrep.exe.  However, word completion still doesn't
work for me because it's looking for /usr/dict/words, which I don't appear
to have.

Probably the best solution is to change egrep to grep in the ispell
customization buffer, and also set the correct path to your words file.  If,
like me, you don't have a words file then I don't know off hand where to get
one or how to build one.

Francis