Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers

From: jasonr
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:00:02 +0100 (BST)

I have found that putting your HOME directory on
a network drive causes Emacs to lock up whenever the
network is down (too frequently on Windows networks).

So now I keep minimal configuration in my .emacs which
is local to each machine, and put most things in
the site-start.el and default.el files that are in
a networked site-lisp directory.
If you call the site-lisp directory site-lisp, and
put it on the same machine as the emacs directory, at
the same level in the directory heirarchy, then
Emacs will automatically pick it up.

Recent files are of course local, since they are
stored in the HOME directory. But unless they are
all networked files, or are duplicated across all
machines, they won't be much use on other machines anyway.