[h-e-w] Dired Uncompress

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] Dired Uncompress
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:25:15 +0100

The dired command Z compresses or uncompresses files, and whilst compressing
worked fine I just noticed that uncompressing a gzipped file did not work.
The reason turns out to be that the Cygwin gunzip.exe is a symlink to
gzip.exe, which of course NTEmacs cannot follow.  So, I took my own advice
from yesterday and replaced the symlink with a hard link, which has
completely solved the problem.  This observation might be of use to other
Cygwin users, and I suspect that it applies to a number of other Cygwin
executables.

Francis