Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers

From: Thomas L Roche
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] NTEmacs Network installation for multiusers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:49:45 -0400

Brian Murphy <address@hidden> Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:08:15
>> I want to be able to use NTemacs on different machines all using
>> Windows 2000 each having access to a shared network driver.
>> However, I want to be able to have the same configuration when I
>> move between machines (recent files, .el packages, etc)

>> To achieve this I was thinking of installing emacs on a shared
>> network drive.

I have done this on Novell. It works.

address@hidden Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:00:02 +0100 (BST)
> I have found that putting your HOME directory on a network drive
> causes Emacs to lock up whenever the network is down (too frequently
> on Windows networks).

Also your users will tend to blame you whenever there's a problem :-)

> So now I keep minimal configuration in my .emacs

Use _emacs: that way you can quick-fix problems using 'notepad'.

> which is local to each machine, and put most things in the
> site-start.el and default.el files that are in a networked site-lisp
> directory. If you call the site-lisp directory site-lisp, and put it
> on the same machine as the emacs directory, at the same level in the
> directory heirarchy, then Emacs will automatically pick it up.

And remember to byte-compile: reduces network traffic, improves
application performance.