[h-e-w] auto-save.el generating invalid windows file path

From: Neil J Mackie
Subject: [h-e-w] auto-save.el generating invalid windows file path
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:26:57 -0000

I have had a long standing problem using auto-save.el where it fails to save files. I'm eventually trying to fix it because the power went off while I was editing today.

I'm using GNU 21.2 on Windows XP Home so I'm fairly up to date there.
I'm using auto-save.el V1.25 with a date 22/02/97.
I also have the following in my site-start.el file

;;; ********************
;;; Load the auto-save.el package, which lets you put all of your autosave
;;; files in one place, instead of scattering them around the file system.
;;;
;;      auto-save-hash-p nil
;;      ange-ftp-auto-save t
;;      ange-ftp-auto-save-remotely nil
(require 'auto-save)
(setq auto-save-directory (expand-file-name "C:/Program Files/emacs-21.2/autosave/")
      auto-save-hash-directory (expand-file-name "C:/Program Files/emacs-21.2/autosave/")
      auto-save-directory-fallback auto-save-directory
      auto-save-hash-p nil
      ;; now that we have auto-save-timeout, let's crank this up
      ;; for better interactive response.
      auto-save-interval 300
      )
I'm fairly sure the problem is that the file name generated for the auto-save file is invalid because it contains invalid characters. I'm not 100% sure, because the error message appears and disappears before I can get a good look at it. Any suggestions as to how I can capture the error message?

Searching the web I have found a variety of patches to auto-save.el but really would prefer to be given a link to a working auto-save.el for Windows or for someone to send one to me.

Regards,
Neil J Mackie
n.mackie at btinternet.com