RE: [h-e-w] Asking for help on 2 problems (ange-ftp, file dir)

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Asking for help on 2 problems (ange-ftp, file dir)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:19:18 +0100

Am 29 Oct 2002, Jie Wu schrieb:

>  My NT-emacs is installed in the directory C:\Programs\emacs-21.2
>  I have a separate dir C:\Programs\emacsen and a subdir site-lisp in it
>  to keep some common things among different versions of emacs NT.
>  I have also the latest cygwin installed (without emacs of it) in the dir
>  C:\cygwin.
>  The .emacs file is in the home directory and read correctly every time
>  the program is started up.
>
>  Furthermore, I'm new to the emacs lisp.
>
>  Problems:
>
>  1. i have the (require 'cygwin-mount) in the .emacs file, but nothing
>  related to ange-ftp in the file. But emacs told me that it requires
>  ange-ftp. I suppose this is required by the cygwin-mount (is it? i'm not
>  sure.) so i installed and byte-compiled the ange-ftp in the site-lisp
>  dir which is included in the load-path. But when emacs starts up, it
>  still gives out an error which reads:
>
>  ------
>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function ange-ftp-run-real-handler)

[...]

>    normal-top-level()
>  ------
>
>  What does this error mean?

[...]

Which version of cygwin-mount.el are you using? The latest one (available on
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/index.html
<http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/index.html> ) contains this code:

,----
| ;;; ange-ftp
| (if (locate-library "ange-ftp")
|     (require 'ange-ftp))
`----

You see, the ange-ftp stuff is only used if there is ange-ftp available in
your load-path.

Ciao,
Klaus

--