[h-e-w] Box cursor when in "insert mode"

From: Daniel Hegyi
Subject: [h-e-w] Box cursor when in "insert mode"
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:23:23 +0000

Hi,

To make my cursor a blinking bar in Emacs 21.2 I use this code:

;; Make a bar cursor
(setq default-cursor-type 'bar)
(defun reset-frame-cursor (&optional frame)
 (modify-frame-parameters frame `((cursor-type . ,default-cursor-type))))
(reset-frame-cursor)
(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions 'reset-frame-cursor)

I'd like to have the cursor become a box when I'm in "insert mode" (i.e., when I press the insert key once.) How can I do that? Currently it just turns yellow, I guess because I have (set-face-background 'region "yellow") set in my .emacs.

Thanks,
Daniel