[h-e-w] VM and the Modeline...

From: Sunil S. Patel
Subject: [h-e-w] VM and the Modeline...
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:29:15 -0500

I'm using 21.2.1 on Win2k...

I'm using VM for mail through POP3....I wanted to get the modeline's
standard "Mail" indicator to work with VM...I don't keep VM in it's own
frame...I use VM sort of like RMAIL...

So I came up with the following:

(setq display-time-mail-function '(lambda () (vm-check-for-spooled-mail nil
nil)))
(add-hook 'vm-arrived-message-hook 'display-time-update)

Seems to work great...but...I'm getting very occasional lockups with
emacs...sometimes several times a day...sometimes not...if you bring up
Task Manager....emacs has disappeared from the 'Applications" tab...I then
have to find in the 'Processes" tab and kill it from there, and restart
it...

I get the feeling since the mail's being checked through POP3 ever minute,
something's clashing with something sometimes...(great line, eh?...I
should be in software testing! :) )

I think I could make the problem "better" or alleviate it, by not checking
every 1 minute like when display-time-mail-function gets called, instead
like every 5 minutes...I still want the clock on the modeline to be
updated though.....

Can an elisp wizard help me out, tell me how I can rewrite my lambda
function above to do that? i.e. vm-check-for-spooled-mail runs only only 5
minute boundaries of the time?....

       -Sunil