[h-e-w] viewing HTML, attachments in gnus

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] viewing HTML, attachments in gnus
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:25:45 -0800

Uncle!

I'm giving in to the visual email senders.  I'm tired of visually
parsing HTML as plain text using Gnus v5.9.0 in emacs 21.2.1 on
Windows 2000.  I can't visually parse picture attachments.  I've been
able to ignore it until lately, since most of the HTML I get is SPAM,
but recently, I got a request from a client wrapped in HTML.  That was
the straw that's gotten me to get emacs interfaced to external
"viewers", that obey DWIM rules like:

    *.html -> IE
    URL's -> IE
    text/plain -> another emacs buffer
    MS Office attachments -> OpenOffice

What I've been able to do is to 'h' (to get to the article window),
then TAB to a "hot spot".  If I hit CR, it behaves like a "save as",
so that I can manually launch the appropriate "viewer" on the saved
target.  Doable, but much too manual for the reasons I choose emacs.

Could someone point me to the missing attachments, supply a config
file snippet, or to the correct section in the fine manual to make
this work?

Graphically lacking,
Michael

P.S.  Although I still love these quotes from friends of mine, I'm
having to read the HTML writing on the wall.

    ================

    On request, I can resend this email to you as a MS-Word file
    if your computer system can't read plain text.
      -- Tom Limoncelli

    ASCII is God's language.
      -- John Rako

--