[h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv and NTEmacs (again)

From: Fredrik Öberg
Subject: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv and NTEmacs (again)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:10:45 +0100

Dear list,
a couple of months ago I had problems getting gnuserv to work on my
XP machine. What I was trying to achieve was to have a shortcut to
gnuclientw in my SendTo folder to be able to open files in emacs in
an easy way. The first time I sent a file to emacs, it all worked well,
but I was not able to send another file to emacs. Nothing happened in
emacs, ie the second file never showed up. I mailed the list and got
help from several of you, but it didn't solve the problem. Then, after
installing XP SP1 everything worked and I was happy with that.

Now I'm trying to set up the same configuration on a W2K box but end
up with the same result. In my .emacs I have

(setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1")
(setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))
(get-buffer-create "*server*")
(require 'gnuserv)
(gnuserv-start)
(message "gnuserv started.")

gnuserv.el is in emacs\site-lisp, gnuserv binaries are in emacs\bin.

When starting emacs by just using the shortcut, *Message* buffer looks
like this:

(C:\Program\emacs-21.2\bin\emacs.exe)
gnuserv started.
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Server subprocess exited
Fontifying *scratch*... (regexps.............)

while the *server* buffer says

Server subprocess exited

Task manager tells me gnuserv.exe is running. Trying to send a file to
emacs now will result in emacs getting the focus and the hourglass is
shown but no file is read into emacs. After a second or two, the
hourglass disappears. There is no action in *server* or *Messages*

If I exit emacs, selects  a file in explorer and sends it to emacs, the
file is read into emacs. *server* says

324 (server-edit-files-quickly '((1 .
"c:/Program/emacs-21.2/site-lisp/gnuserv.el")))
324/3:nil

while *Messages* say

(C:\Program\emacs-21.2\bin\emacs.exe)
gnuserv started.
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Fontifying gnuserv.el... (regexps.............)
Fontifying *scratch*... (regexps.............)

Trying to send another file does nothing, no action in *Messages* or
*server*. However, there is a gnuclientw.exe running in Task manager.

Can anybody help me on this?

Many thanks in advance
//Fredrik