RE: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv and NTEmacs (again)

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv and NTEmacs (again)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:37:51 -0500

I'm not sure that we have exactly the same problem, because my *server*
window doesn't give the "Server subprocess exited" message.

However, I too had essentially the same symptom.  I think it's caused by
a windows bug.  I tried attaching the VC++ debugger to gnuserv to see if
I could find the problem, and discovered that when gnuserv had the
debugger attached, everything works fine.  Furthermore, as long as VC++
keeps running (even if the original gnuserv process dies and I start
another), everything works.  But when I close VC++, it stops working.

So, now I just keep an instance of VC++ running in the background, and
everything is fine.  I imagine one of these days, a windows service pack
will come out that fixes the problem.

If you have VC++ (or another debugger), give that a shot.
Alternatively, you can try using a different version of gnuserv.  I
remember there was an old one around for windows that used mailslots for
inter-process communication instead of TCP sockets.  That one might not
suffer from the same problem.

-Eli