Re: [h-e-w] Building native windows ntemacs using cygwin tools

From: jasonr
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Building native windows ntemacs using cygwin tools
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:22:04 +0000 (GMT)

> Before I actually looked into this, I though
> I'd post this message to make sure I understand the problem correctly :)

There are other reasons why we do not use the standard configure script.
I do not think adding an ugly cygpath hack to every Windows makefile is the
correct way to get around a deficiency in the Cygwin port of make. As
someone else pointed out, a simple command line switch to Cygwin make would
fix the problem for Emacs and every other makefile that needs to run native
Windows programs.
But so far, the attitude of Cygwin developers seems to be to make no changes
to improve Cygwin's compatibility with Windows.

If building with Cygwin tools is that important to you, you probably want
the Cygwin port of Emacs rather than the native Windows port. The Cygwin
port is being merged into CVS, but is currently available as patches from
Cygwin.