Re: [h-e-w] TZ in Win2k

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] TZ in Win2k
Date: 21 Jan 2003 14:47:29 -0800

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Bin Zhang <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thanks!  What I found is that Emacs I have to set TZ=HST+10 to make
> > Emacs Calendar/diary happy, while html-helper-mode timestamp doesn't
> > really care what I set TZ as.  My Windows setting is: GMT-10 Hawaii.
> > Can someone tell me what's going on?
>
> If your Windows setting means the control panel, then that is because
> Windows uses a much more sensible way to display timezone information
> than the traditional TZ variable. There, GMT-10 means 10 hours behind
> GMT, whereas the TZ variable uses the opposite approach: HST+10.

It's sensible, just for a _different_ definition of "sensible".  :-)
  Add 10 hours to your current time to get GMT.

It's unfortunate that the email Date: field is backwards from that
definition of "sensible".  Here's a recent example.

    Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:21:53 -0500

It's my understanding that the date field shows local time for the
sender, and is followed by a TZ-ish number.

In the US, it's typically

    -0500 EST    -0400 EDT   Eastern TZ
    -0600 CST    -0500 CDT   Central TZ
    -0700 MST    -0600 MDT   Mountain TZ